A magnificent 5-bedroom chalet on the piste to rent during winter or summer, The Big Bear sleeps 10 people in 5 spacious bedrooms. The chalet was architect-designed, built and furnished to a high specification to give a luxurious and high-tech mountain theme. Standing in a prominent position, the combination of old wood, traditional stone and glass balconies makes this chalet one of the top features of the resort. There is plenty of space inside, with the main feature being the large, stone-clad kitchen / living / dining area which has windows on all sides and is open to the wooden beams above. The cinema screen in the lounge area measures an impressive 75-inches (190cm) and there is a fireplace built into the stone wall.
Bedrooms and bathrooms
The combination of high-tech and mountain decor continues throughout the five large bedrooms. In total there are three double rooms and two twin rooms. Each room is fitted with Apple TV and DVD with a choice of over 200 movies. The Master Bedroom benefits from private balcony and en-suite bathroom with his'n'hers sink and shower. Two of the other bedrooms have en-suite bathrooms, and there is a fourth bathroom (with shower) for use by the remaining two bedrooms. La Tzoumaz Chalet The Big Bear is equipped with a high chair and a folding travel cot (bedding not provided) suitable for children under 2 years old, and a second is available on demand on arrival. Please note that in accordance with the manufacturer's safety instructions, additional mattresses are not provided with the cots.
The open kitchen area has all that you would need to cook for large groups along with the essential oven and hob. There is a dishwasher, kettle, toaster, electric filter coffee-machine, Nespresso coffee-machine plus fondue and raclette sets for a traditional Swiss evening in front of the log fire. Your ski-boots and gloves will always be toasty-warm and dry thanks to the boot & glove dryers in the spacious ski-room. An iron and hairdryer are available, and there is a portable gas barbecue for outdoor use. Please note that there is no washing machine available for guest use, and there is no launderette in the village.
The large cinema TV comes complete with Apple TV and the hi-tech stereo system comes complete with Airplay so it's easy to find distractions in the luxuriously-decorated living areas of this magnificent chalet. In front of the fire, the sheepskin and fur throws coupled with the chic and comfortable sofas create a mountain atmosphere where you can really let go of the stresses and strains of everyday life. With your wine at the perfect temperature thanks to the built-in wine cellar, step onto the glass-fronted wrap-around balcony to watch the skiers or mountain-bikers gliding past the chalet, or in the evening contemplate the tiny cars as their lights crawl across the Rhone valley floor several kilometers distant. In summer, thanks to the tranquillity of this calm location, it is a joy listen to the birdsong coming from the nearby wooded area. The chalet has a dominating, elevated position above the village, so benefits from a stunning view across the nearby valley to the distant mountain peaks beyond.
The chalet is equipped with free, high-speed WIFI for your own private use.
We're sorry but The Big Bear is a pet-free property. Please browse our selection of pet-friendly chalets if you would like to travel with your pet.
In summer, there is parking for 2 or 3 cars below the chalet. Please note that in winter we recommend to only park one car at the chalet. A 4-wheel drive vehicle with winter tyres and/or snow chains is required to access this space in winter due to the need to drive over a snowy, pisted footpath. Alternative parking is available 50m from the chalet if you do not have a 4-wheel-drive vehicle. At least one car is advisable in both summer and winter. Contact us for railway or airport transfers.
This chalet is ski-in and ski-out. The footpath at the side of the road in front of the chalet is prepared and maintained for skiers during the ski season, allowing you the luxury of skiing the 400m to the main ski piste and down to the Savoleyres telecabin and also skiing back home at the end of the day. This ski-route is suitable for all except complete beginners, who would need to walk the 400m to the beginner skiing area. The modern high-speed telecabin carries you from La Tzoumaz up to the top of the Savoleyres in less than 8 minutes, from where you can decide to ski back on the quiet La Tzoumaz slopes or ski down to Verbier’s legendary slopes and world-class off-piste opportunities in the vast 4-Valleys ski area.
In the peak summer season (from early July to late August), we provide you with free VIP pedestrian lift-passes, half-price mountain-bike daypasses and a range of other discounts. The telecabin link to Verbier operates daily at this time of year from 08:45 to 12:30 and from 13:30 to 16:45, meaning that you can easily access the famous resort as a pedestrian, or accompanied by your bicycle or e-bike. For a small supplement you can even use a variety of mountain lifts to make your way up to Mont Fort at 3300m for the highest fondue in Europe and incredible mountain panoramas that include Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn.
In summer, the area turns into a hiking and mountain biking paradise, with hundreds of kilometres of marked trails criss-crossing the mountains, awash with alpine flowers and a range of wildlife to spot. Visit the Maison de la Foret with its wildlife exhibitions and its Five Senses Nature Trail, and the starting point of many beautiful hikes. The Bisses are relatively flat footpaths that follow the water as it trickles around the mountainsides, where for centuries farmers and villagers channelled the streams for their own uses. They have been preserved and can now be an incredible way to spend a day or more on easy hikes with stunning views across the Rhone Valley or over to the Massif des Combins. We will provide you with plenty of tourist information including our favourite suggestions for day trips that are easily reachable from La Tzoumaz, from spectacular gorge walks, cheese factories and roman festivals to rainy-day ideas such as underground lake tours. The road that winds up the mountain-top to the panoramic Croix-de-Coeur Cafe-Restaurant opens as soon as the snow melts and from here you can continue the drive (or cycle) all the way down into Verbier. Try not to miss the Swiss National Celebrations in La Tzoumaz on August 1st, or the famous festival of live music performances, the Verbier Festival, which runs from mid-July to the beginning of August.
The centre of La Tzoumaz benefits from an outdoor ice-skating rink in winter, and a children's playground area in summer, with a rope-based agility park alongside more traditional equipment such as slides. A fun channel system with running water is built into the hillside to provide plenty of entertainment for older children too.
At the exit of the village the Domus playground is a fabulous spot, often bathed in late afternoon sunshine, with swings, a zipline, see-saw, climbing frames and even old tractors to clamber on. It is overlooked by an outdoor cafe (check opening hours) providing drinks, snacks and ice-creams. There are rabbits, donkeys, goats, and there is also rock-climbing on the local crag in the background (contact us for equipment and instructors).
The Maison de la Foret has a cafe area for drinks and snacks (check opening hours), wildlife exhibitions and its Five Senses Nature Trail with hands-on activities to borrow such as bird-whistling and learning to draw. The Nature Trail has disabled parking and is accessible to wheelchairs and children's buggies.
Right at the top of the village is the "Defis de la Riviere", which is equipped as an outdoor physical challenge area for older kids on the river. There are sensory walking areas for younger children and a basket swing, and also a picnic spot nearby.
A short drive down the valley takes you to the large lake at the Parc des Iles, with its playgrounds, high-ropes park, minigolf, restaurant, miniature train and more.
The total price is composed of a one-off non-variable cost (per booking) to cover final cleaning, bed-linen and towels, and other one-off fees, plus a nightly rental rate (per night) and nightly tourist taxes (per adult/child and per night), plus website fees (site-specific).
This total price includes the following:
- our warm welcome and support during your stay
- beds made up for your arrival with our bedsheets and towels
- firewood (fair use)
- credit card charges
- electricity & heating
- final cleaning
- tourist taxes for the number of adults/children stated at time of enquiry/booking. Please note that due to the inclusion of tourist taxes in the calculation, the price varies according to the number of people who will stay. Adults are classed as over 16 years, and children from 6 to 15 years. At the time of booking there is no need to declare (or pay for) children under 6 years old on the date of travel, however please mention them in the "Special Requests" box so that we can include them in our arrival preparations.
- free summer lift passes for the number of adults/children stated at time of booking (early July to late August)
- the opportunity to buy discounted ski lessons (15%) and rental (15%) and have them ready for your arrival (conditions apply) after booking a winter holiday with us (December to April).
Not included in the price:
- On arrival we will ask for a credit card pre-authorisation for use in case of breakage unpaid at departure (up to 1000 CHF). The deposit will be cancelled when no unpaid damage is found after your departure.
- Dogs not allowed
- Only the exit cleaning is included in the base price so if you wish to have extra cleaning during your stay then this can be arranged on request.
- Bedding and towels are provided for your arrival. If you require an extra set of bedding and towels during your stay then this can be arranged for 22CHF per person.
- Standard arrival is from 16h00, and departure is by 10h00. Early Arrival from 14h00 can be purchased for 50CHF up to one week in advance of Saturday arrivals in winter and peak summertime.
We operate a strictly "first-paid = first-reserved" basis for bookings which means we cannot guarantee availability beyond what you see on this online booking portal and so we recommend you confirm within 48h in order to secure the reservation. You can book and pay by credit card right now through the secure online booking portal using the link on this page. 50% of the total amount is due upon reservation and the remainder is payable 2 months before arrival.
We recognise the difficulties and uncertainties that many of our travellers are facing due to the global COVID 19 crisis. At the same time, we have to balance the needs of our travellers with the needs of our chalet owners, so we have updated our cancellation policy as follows:
1. Free cancellation in advance
- For all arrival dates until end of November 2022 we are offering free cancellation* for any reason up to sixty days before travel.
- For all arrival dates until end of November 2023 we are offering free cancellation* for any reason up to ninety days before travel.
2. Free cancellation in the event of new government rules
After expiration of the free cancellation period, in case new government rules occur which block the vacation, for example a requirement to quarantine either during the vacation or on return home, or a restriction in the number of people who can meet together, or a forced closure of the whole ski area related to COVID-19, then we would offer a full refund* providing that the vacation is cancelled within 14 days of the new rules being announced.
In case the clients wish to maintain the reservation even when new or existing rules would block the reservation from happening, then a cancellation fee of 50%* will apply if these reservations are subsequently cancelled.
3. Balance transfer in case of infection or contact
If the party is not able to travel due to individual quarantine (based on infection or case of contact) we will transfer the full amount of your booking to an alternative date of your choice.
4. Standard cancellation conditions
After expiration of the free cancellation period, the following conditions apply* in all circumstances not covered by exception above, including non-restrictive reasons (such as a precautionary principle, increase in testing or vaccination requirements or recommendations not to travel, etc.) or a non-governmental reason (personal reasons, non-COVID illness, etc). We recommend you ensure that you are properly insured against these risks.
- Less than seven days before arrival – 10% refund**
- From seven to thirty days before arrival – 20% refund**
- From thirty to ninety days before arrival – 85% refund
*Please note that our refund policies do not cover the fees paid to any booking website, as these fees are beyond our control so we can only refund based 100% of the price paid if you book directly with 4vallees4saisons, and the refund of any booking site fees must be requested separately from the booking site.
**If we are able to resell the holiday to another client, we can increase your refund to a maximum of 85%, depending on the resale amount achieved.
La Tzoumaz Chalet Big Bear
Brought to you by 4vallees4saisons
Modern and comfortable holiday house in La Tzoumaz, 4 Vallees, Switzerland for 10 persons. The house is situated in a mountainous area and within 50 m from the skislope.
The house has 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and 1 guest toilet, spread over 3 levels. The vicinity of sports activities and places to go out makes this a fine holiday house to spend your holidays in Switzerland with family or friends.
Interior of this holiday home
- 3 level holiday house
- living/dining room with television, DVD player, BlueRay player and hifi
- living room
- fireplace in living room (wood)
- 2 balconies
- 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and 1 guest toilet
- cable television (Apple TV)
- open kitchen with induction cooker, electric oven, dishwasher, refrigerator-freezer, coffee machine, electric kettle, mixer, toaster and juicer
Bedrooms and bathrooms
- bedroom with 2 single beds (90 by 190cm) and television, bathroom en-suite
- 2 bedrooms, each with king size bed and television, bathroom en-suite
- 2 bedrooms, each with king size bed and television
- en-suite bathroom with double washbasin, bath, shower, toilet and hairdryer
- 2 en-suite bathrooms, each with single washbasin, shower, toilet and hairdryer
- bathroom with single washbasin, bath, shower, toilet and hairdryer
Exterior of this holiday home
- outside sitting area and outside dining area
- 2 private parking spaces
- skislope within 50 meters of the house
- skilift within 2 kilometers of the house
- nearest town: La Tzoumaz (within 2 kilometers of the house)
- nearest riverbank or shore: Lac & Parc des Iles (within 25 kilometers of the house)
- nearest beach: Interlaken (within 100 kilometers of the house)
- nearest port: Le Bouveret (within 25 kilometers of the house)
- nearest park: Defis de la Riviere (within 2 kilometers of the house)
- nearest airport: GVA (within 100 kilometers of the house)
- second nearest airport: ZRH (within 100 kilometers of the house)
- public transport: bus within 2 kilometers, underground within 25 kilometers and train within 25 kilometers of the house
- smoking not allowed
- pets are not allowed
- The accommodation is very suitable for families with children
Facilities and services included in the rental price of this holiday home
- internet (WiFi)
- vacuum cleaner and iron and ironing board
- bed linen and towels
- floor heating
- children beds/cots (on demand)
Entertainment and leisure activities for your holidays in La Tzoumaz, 4 Vallees
- bar (within 5 kilometers from the house)
- water park (Les Bains de Saillon) (within 25 kilometers from the house)
Sights and culture in La Tzoumaz, 4 Vallees
- church (Chapelle de l'Ascension) (within 5 kilometers from the accommodation)
- architectural building (Iserables Raccards) (within 10 kilometers from the accommodation)
- museum (Fondation Pierre Gianadda), palace (Stockalper Palace), castle (Chateau de Tourbillon), ruin (Chateau de la Batiaz), monument (La Vidondee) and historic place (Martigny Amphitheatre) (within 25 kilometers from the accommodation)
- skiing, hiking, mountainbiking and cycling (within 1000 meters of the house)
- tennis and climbing (within 5 kilometers of the house)
- golf (Verbier) and fishing (within 10 kilometers of the house)
- surfing (within 25 kilometers of the house)
Please note that for this accommodation a security deposit of Fr 1.000,00 is required. For more information please see our Rental Conditions.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW: The prices for Chalet The Big Bear in La Tzoumaz are indicated on the price list per week including additional costs. This does not mean that you should always rent a week. Outside the high season you can freely choose your arrival and departure day by clicking on the availability calendar the desired dates, the rent is automatically calculated. If desired, you can book directly online with immediate confirmation.